Enclosure for 1x M.2 NVMe & SATA
with USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Type-C® & Type-A interface, write protection and heat sink
- NVMe & SATA: The ICY BOX IB-1817MC-C31 is the right choice for your M.2 SSD. Our enclosure is compatible with NVMe and SATA SSDs alike and offers space for storage in standard sizes up to 2280
- FAST DATA TRANSFER: the ICY BOX M.2 case IB-1817MC-C31 uses USB 3.1 (Gen 2) with data transfer rates up to 10 Gbps. So you can complete copying processes with large amounts of data quickly
- EASY TO INSTALL: the installation of the M.2 memory is done quickly. Housing and SSD are secured with a few screws, which can be loosened with the enclosed screwdriver
- CABLE INCLUDED: the included cables from USB Type-C to Type-C and Type-C to Type-A make connecting to the computer really easy. The right connection is always at hand
- WELL PROTECTED: the IB-1817MC-C31 is equipped with integrated write protection. This protects your data from unwanted loss. The writing protection can be easily activated and disabled via a switch
for 1x M.2 NVMe & SATA SSD with M-Key socket
High-grade aluminium in innovative cooling fin design
USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Type-C® & Type-A interface
Activation of write protection via switch
LED for power and access
The USB protocol version 3.1 (Gen 2) achieves twice the data speed with 10 Gbit/s compared to the lower USB version. A special feature of this external enclosure is the combination of SATA and NVMe. Finally, both technologies can be operated in one enclosure!
This enclosure features three cooling characteristics: the cooling fin design of the aluminium enclosure, the silicone thermal pad that is applied to the data carrier and the heat sink that covers both inside. In this way, heat generated by the high performance of the enclosure is optimally dissipated.
Click - Safe
Anyone who decides on a great enclosure with a high data capacity also wants their data to be well secured. Therefore, the IB-1817MC-C31 is equipped with a write protection function. With a small tool supplied, a switch is flipped between write-protected and unsecured.
|Interface to host computer||USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Type-C®|
|Transfer rate||Up to 10 Gbit/s|
|Length of cable||20 cm|
|M.2 card size||22x 30/42/60/80 mm|
|M.2 interface||PCIe x2 / SATA III|
|SSD capacity||Up to 2 TB|
|Plug & Play||Yes|
|LED||Power, access and write protection status|
|Power supply||USB powered|
|Operating system||Windows®, macOS®|
|System requirements||One free USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Type-C® or Type-A port on your host computer|
|Packing content||1x IB-1817MC-C31 (drive not included), 1x Type-C® to Type-C® cable (20 cm), 1x Type-C® to Type-A cable (20 cm), 1x Silicone thermal pad, 1x Heat sink, 1x Tool for write protection switch, 1x Screw driver, 1x Set of screws, 1x Quick installation guide|
|Packing unit:||40 pcs. / carton|
|Total weight:||9.3 kg|
|Gross weight (with packing):||0.213 kg|
|Net weight:||0.092 kg|
|Dimension (with packing):||27x105x200 mm|
|Dimension of article:||104x40x15 mm|
|Country of origin:||China|
What is M.2?
What form factors are available?
M.2 SSDs are rectangular and have a male connector on each short side and a small recess on the other side to fix the SSD to the corresponding slot with a screw. Depending on the storage capacity, the SSDs are available with single-sided or double-sided PCBs.
What are M.2 Keys?
Compatibility to the host computer?
Is a M.2 PCIe SSD with NVMe protocol faster than a M.2 SATA SSD with AHCI protocol?
How do I know which M.2 drives work in this device?
Is a special driver required?
How do I install the SSD correctly?
•Make sure that the socket and the SSD fit together perfectly and without resistance (principle: tongue and groove).
•Now carefully push the SSD down onto the PCB and fix the SSD with the included screw.
•If you use a heat sink, place the heat pad on the heat sink and place the heat sink on the SSD.
•Make sure that the heat pad and the heat sink do not protrude over the SSD.
How do I activate write protection? (Not all enclosures are equipped with write protection switch)
• Using the supplied tool, slide the write-protect switch to the left, to the closed lock.
• Then connect the enclosure to your host computer.
• The write protection is now activated. This is indicated by the red status LED.
Can the enclosure also be connected to USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 ports?
The enclosure becomes warm during use.
How to cool my SSD?
What happens if I plug an M.2 SSD PCIe 3.0 x4/NVMe into a port that only supports PCIe x2?
Everything is connected, but no function.
To test your components, follow the steps below:
• Use the cables, SSD and enclosures in a different configuration to see if the problem is with the components or the configuration In your setup.
• Use a different cable, SSD and enclosure to see if the problem persists. Ideally, you should test a component that you know works in a different setup.
The SSD is not recognized by the operating system.
• Please check if the driver software is installed (USB).
• Sometimes it can be possible that the M.2-SSD slot has to share the PCIe lanes with other devices. In this case one of the interfaces may be deactivated. Please refer to the documentation of your motherboard and activate the M.2 SSD in BIOS mode.